AboutHi there! My name is Omer Shamai the official Oscilloscope Guy (C). I am 19 years old from Israel. I am interested in coding and have been coding for about 8 years, since I was in second grade.
SkillsiOS UIKit (Swift), C#, x86 ASM, Arduino C and standard C/C++. FUCK OBJECTIVE C.
LocationRamat Gan, Israel.
Joined devRant on 5/9/2018
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Slight detour in plans, I will have to postpone any and all updates for AltRant until I finish both final projects in college this year. However, I will keep the app afloat in TestFlight for testers to keep using on a daily basis.1
(Note: this is ***NOT*** advertising if you are questioning the validity of this post)
I know that Microsoft gets a bad word for many things (and rightfully so), but one good thing that they do is host a yearly general developer convention in Israel called BlueHat IL.
I've been trying to get invited in for 2 years now (they have to manually accept your application because so many people want to be there and they would run out of physical space if they accepted everyone), and yesterday I FINALLY GOT MY INVITATION!!
So, if you are also going - meet me there!5
I know I am late as all hell to this question, but my favorite place (more accurately - time), is in college during statistics and probability class.
Just to keep the theoretical bullshit away.
(theorists don't @ me)3
That was in the digitally-controlled analog equalizer I worked on (and still AM working on) with my dad, we kept sending something through the SPI line that was consistently sending clown vomit and corrupted data to the display and as a result my whole code was hanging and bootlooping like crazy.
The fix? No idea! Because I had (and still don't have) ANY step-based debugging, all I could do is try multiple ideas and see if one of them would stick. That ended up being the solution.
I still have a video of this issue, I just need to find it. I will post it here when I have it.3
For those who like experimental, avant-garde metal, have an album recommendation.
The album is called "Huxwhukw" (yeah ik), made by the band Serious Beak.
Rapid changes in time signatures, interesting musical passages, and every song kinda "melts" to the next.2
Just checked on AltRant in the App Store Connect dashboard, and got a nasty surprise: a pile (22 in total) of crashes, all of them because of things I never thought would cause a crash...
Thank you for all the feedback, today I am going on an army exam. After that - bugfixes are supposed to arrive soon.4
1. Work more on AltRant
2. Start (and finish!) a C-compatible original programming language transpiler with my own syntax and everything (I might talk about it in my next rant)
3. Somehow survive college (I am dying there someone save me from this torment)1
Footnote: I am really thankful for the positive reception of my project from the community. I thought I was all alone on this and that it was the only one in on this project, but everyone who installed their app was quite actively trying to help me and give me the feedback I was in desperate need for. I want to thank everyone.
Special thanks to @Lensflare for contributing on the SwiftRant library repo (https://github.com/OmerFlame/...)
(More QoL and bugfixes are coming soon!!)3
🚨 EMERGENCY ALTRANT UPDATE 🚨
- Fixed critical UI hangs when scrolling up a rant's comments on slow networks
- Fixed critical UI hangs when loading the profile screen on slow networks
Today, I discovered that there is a huge issue with UI responsiveness when the device is connected to a slow (or subpar) network connection. I deemed this absolutely unacceptable and not in the standard I strive to achieve and scrambled to make a fix. The fix is now *live* and available.
In a week from now, I will expire the update I released yesterday (build 2070) in favor of this new one (build 2084). The schedule for expiring the build before yesterday's update (build 1607) is still scheduled to be expired on Wednesday, 11/23/2022, 6 days from the upload of this post.8
New AltRant release!
- Transitioned to URLCache-based caching solution for attached images for much faster loading times
- Fixed many layout issues
- Finally added "more info" button in profile screen after 2 years of the feature being absent from the app
- Fixed many different crashes
- Added rant refreshing
- Added double tap to upvote on rants and comments
- Added creation date/time indicators on rants and comments
- Added comment count indicator in post cells in feeds
All users are required to test every aspect of the app.
I worked really hard on all of this to improve every single aspect of this app - from responsiveness to crashes and layout glitches, while also adding many features that were absent for a crazy amount of time! Please enjoy!
The last build will expire in a week from now.4
I know it's taking me a quite some time to release the AltRant update but I am constantly finding more places to improve loading times and whatnot. The fix list is getting longer as I go...
Also, massive shoutout to @johnmelodyme for helping me with the SwiftRant library and finding those crazy bugs and weird typos and genreal improvements, his contributions are literal goldmine!5
I know that my job searching is just a small chunk of what grownups and people after school and early duties do, but what I've went through while searching for a job in the summer was a hellish nightmare: out of ~60 companies i ever nudged, only ~3 companies returned to me.
0 RESULTED INTERVIEWS. ONLY PHONE CONVOS.
unelated, but i am currenty working on the big altrant QoL update - the stupid visual glitch in the title in the profile screen is already fixed!1
Note to AltRant testers:
1. Tomorrow, I am going to force-expire build 1583 (the big update with the weekly group rant support) in favor of the build with the bugfix (mentioned here: https://devrant.com/rants/5888282) for consistency and for more up-to-date crash reports/feedback.
2. Limited macOS support is coming extremely soon, I will post a comment here in order to notify you about the added support. I believe the same TestFlight link is going to work for both macOS and iOS. NOTE: I haven't invested too much time with polishing the experience for macOS, so there will be bugs, there will be layout glitches and there will be compromises. I am well aware of all macOS issues but I just want to release something and then fix it along the way.1
**Attention @johnmelodyme and all AltRant testers**
I just pushed a quick bugfix update to AltRant, in the hope that it will fix the crashes that were reported. I felt like the app's dodgy situation wasn't up to my standard of quality so I worked as fast as I could to fix the issues, as people are actually starting to prefer my app over the original. Please make sure to perform a full reinstall of the app before continuing, because I actually wasn't experiencing the issues described in my initial testing before releasing the update that needed fixing.31
New AltRant update!
You can join the TestFlight here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/...
- Weekly Group Rants are here! Now you can finally receive news about and take part in Weekly Group Rants through AltRant.
- Updated the SwiftRant library to v2.0, an update that was long time coming. Thanks to @Lensflare's contributions and suggestions for the SwiftRant library, both of us improved the quality of the library by a metric fuck ton, and more improvements are still on their way.
- Downvoting is (still) broken. this issue will be fixed in a later update.
- Some of the layout in the Subscribed feed is a little broken. This will be fixed in a later update.
- The Profile screen's small title flickers in and out of existence under some circumstances. This will be fixed in a later update.29
I finally returned from my hiatus, I am starting professional college now and I am starting to work a little again on AltRant! The next feature will be weekly rant group support. I am unsure about when it will be released to testers on TestFlight but it will be pretty soon I think.1
(TL;DR FOR THE TL;DR: **THIS IS NOT AN AD, ITS A SHITPOST**)
(TL;DR: this is a shitpost about an Intuit ad campaign Israelis get a lot on YouTube, those ads are starting to drive me nuts lmao.)
WE'RE INTO MACHINE LEARNING
WE'RE ADVANCING THE FIELD OF TECHNOLOGY TO OPEN FINANCIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR MILLIONS OF PEOPLE AROUND THE GLOBE5
Job posting: "we require 1.5 years of experience in iOS development"
Also job posting: *doesn't mention a requirement for a degree*
Me: "Cool, this looks exactly like a job for me, I'll send them my résumé!
Recruiter returns to me a day after with this:
"You said you have no work experience, we said in the posting that you need to have 1.5 years of work experience"
THE JOB POSTING DOES NOT MENTION THIS ANYWHERE, THEY ONLY MENTION EXPERIENCE IN IOS DEVELOPMENT
WHY MAKE IT SO AMBIGUOUS AND THEN CHANGE YOUR STANCE
When I finally get a fucking response from a recruiter after sending my résumé to dozens upon dozens of companies, it's a bullshit response.
Note: I am aware of the massive amount of AltRant crashes, I am sorry for making it worse. I need to work on 2 more major final tests that I must pass, but I think I will start fixing some of the crashes today.56
New AltRant build!
This new build brings the new Subscribed feed to AltRant! This took me quite some time to implement and I hope it will be stable...
Here's the link for those who want to join the TestFlight:
I don’t get why ARM assembly is so much clunkier than it should be. It could’ve been so much more readable and easy to write in if more dev-friendliness was built into the syntax.14
New AltRant update!
This update features a fix for instability issues in the Notifications tab. All users that are in the testing group - please update soon! I am giving you a 3-day update window.1
A new update was just released to AltRant!
This update features:
- Massive UI responsiveness fixes and enhancements, including many fixes for UI bugs, fixes and things that needed tweaking
- A COMPLETE overhaul of all devRant API methods (a switch to my new library, SwiftRant)
- Progress with Android compatibility (replaced incompatible libraries for compliance with Mutata)
- Enhanced security with the Keychain
Here’s the link to join again:
I haven't said anything yet, but an AltRant notification server exists. Support for it will arrive very very soon on the AltRant app. It will run locally on the end user's personal computer, and it does not require a constant connection to the phone. Both devices need to be connected to the same local network on first connection, but after that you can wander out of your house or disconnect from the local network and still receive notifications.
DISCLAIMER: ALL SENSITIVE USER CREDENTIALS ARE NOT STORED *ANYWHERE* EXCEPT ON THE LOCAL USER'S MACHINE. NO DATA IS SENT TO ME. THE SERVER IS OPEN-SOURCE, HAS NO RELEASE BINARIES AND RUNS ON PYTHON.
Note to @dfox: if you want this to not exist or not be supported inside AltRant, please tell me or send me an email about it.2