Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "facetime"
Windows vs Mac vs Linux
Swift vs Objective-C
Emacs vs Vim
GPL vs Apache License vs MIT license
Android vs iOS vs Windows phone*
Skype vs Facetime
GIF vs GIF
Peppermint vs Spearmint**
Men vs Women
I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!
IM HAPPY WITH WHAT I HAVE, SO STOP PREACHING OR I'LL STAB YOU!
Hot take: Windows 11 is just to enable them to bake Teams into the OS like they did with IE.
They gotta get sued and split up this time! Their "Facetime" is skype and they had it preinstalled. Don't compare a business messenger to a private video chat platform!
I don't use slack, but they obviously wan't to win agains them by just making it part of the OS. This can't be legal!16
Richard Hendricks is becoming less believable all the time. In season 3, they staffed their company with a crew of offshore devs and worked intimately over video chat, and it worked perfectly! They produced a product that wasn't exactly what the world wanted, but it was exactly what Richard wanted.
Now, in season 5, they're completely ignoring their previous success, and hiring/managing the most expensive devs in the world, and enforcing an outdated, "be at your desk" policy.
And they're having huge problems with it. Go figure.2
Family moves abroad.
Has trouble with internet. They called the internet company who sent a repair guy to their house.
Since they couldn't understand what the repair guy said, they have me on FaceTime to talk to the repair guy.1
FaceTime is not instant access in to my space. I can ignore that too. Every time you want to tell me you've sent me the logo sets me back 15 minutes. Do I really need to fucking see you to tell me that shit. It's not for you to reel off a load of requests either... when you have finished don't you here me say "put it in an email and I'll get back to you". Stop wasting my fucking time. FaceTime.1
- Darwin core is open-source (https://github.com/apple/darwin-xnu). Not the case with Windows.
- You can use macOS without using any Apple online service like Apple ID, FaceTime or iCloud. Terminal will still work without restrictions, and any app can be installed manually. It's totally different from Google services on Android, without which most of the apps won't work at all.
- macOS updates are trivially to disable. It's a matter of unchecking "Update this mac automatically" checkbox in software update settings. Not the case with Windows, Windows updates are universally hated among developers for intentionally complex UI and update services being very hard to disable.
- Almost every feature or default behavior you dislike can be trivially disabled with one console command. Features won't re-enable automatically like I heard update service does in Windows. The only feature I dislike that I wasn't able to disable was a notification about unsafely unplugging a USB flash drive.
- Out of the box, you get a sophisticated disk manager that allows all kinds of manipulation on drives, just like what you get in Ubuntu.
- Just like on smartphones, you can trivially restrict or provide access to certain features like camera, microphone, etc. on app to app basis. I don't know how to easily do it in Linux, let alone in Windows.
- Apart from mastodons like GIMP, I find open source apps for macOS to have better UI than their Linux alternatives.
- Objective-See offers useful FOSS apps for macOS, they help with privacy and malware detection: https://objective-see.com/products....
I don't want to start a fight. Please, abstain from commenting on one OS being better / worse than the other. Please, don't comment on Mac computers being better / worse than computers of some other vendor. I'm very confused now because of my Dunning-Krueger thing (read my previous rants), so I just want to present the facts about macOS that I think deserve more exposure.28
Science says it can't be done! You can't have an iPhone AND preserve your privacy!
Yet here I am, doing just that. Just analyze apps you use and just quit using fucking leeches like instagram and whatever facebook puts out. Also, do this:
1. Disable iMessage, iCloud and FaceTime
2. Opt out of sending analytics to apple
3. Use VPN with DNS that blocks trackers
4. Disable background app refresh and location access
Most importantly, quit using whatever uses personalization to spoon-feed you content that exploits your confirmation bias. Quit watching youtube. Switch to DuckDuckGo or whatever search engine without personalization.
If you don't like apple and don't care about cameras, just buy a Pixel smartphone and install Calyx OS. Fairfone with /e/os is also a good alternative.12
When slack is down for 3 hours, but ur boss facetimes u and ses we need to review CVS and then u need to stop playing euro truck simulator and start working 🙃.4
Updated to iOS 12.1.2 (sleazy release 2) after previously getting fucked up the ass by iOS 12.1.2 first release. Yes boys and girls, they tried to cover up their latest fuckup by re-releasing the same release with a modification.
The first time I updated, it knocks my Apple ID out on all my Apple devices when I upgrade my iPhone to 12.1.2. Mother fuckers... gotta log back in for every device, iPads, iPhones, Apple TVs, Macs. And for each service iTunes Store, Messages, FaceTime on each device supporting. Oh yea, it knocks out my Wi-Fi calling and I have to reestablish that too. Then to really ice me, it knocks out my HomeKit system as the Apple ID is knocked out on the Apple TV.
Now after updating just my iPhone to the second 12.1.2 "sleaze release", the thing knocks all my devices out again.
Apple has taken away that which I loved; impeccable engineering and design that could be used as the model for an entire industry. The industry guru. (teacher, leader) Apple has become the new Microsoft.
October 5, 2011, the day Apple died.4
If I had one wish it would be that I could have FaceTime on Android do I could throw this iphone into the nearest body of water.4
“Hey congratulations, they want you to come in for an interview in Leeds this week - you’re happy to relocate right?”
Ace! Sure, I’m open to it, since they know I’m in London are they OK with a FaceTime / Skype call?
“No, they would like a face to face”
Sure no problem, as it’s a last minute ticket it’s going to be about £90 return are they OK to cover my train expenses? It’s about a 3 hours each way.
“Um...probably not. I can ask, also they need you to wear a suit Mon to Thursday but they have dress down Friday.”
..um, I can wear whatever they need that’s fine, it’s just a tad unusual. Let me know about the travel.
..but they agreed to your rate.
? Am I being unreasonable? I thought it was quite a large upfront investment and risk to ask.... 6 hours travelling and £903
Hi there, my 2 cents to rant on WWDC :)
- Check time? My big head is in the way.
- Work tabs... Why is my Wordle in the list?
- Edit message ... Good bye iMessage memes :(
- Dictation. Hello Jarvis. Hi CIA. Sup 0-day devs
- Live Text. Indian tutorials are now just a copy paste away
- Wallet keys sharing through messages 🤌
- Family. Send more screen time through messages (goodness this messaging app is becoming less green)
- Shared libraries in photos, lovely, now your aunt knows you love visit and taking photos of the neighbor (if you forget to turn it off)
- CarPlay, this will need screen time soon, ui so beautiful you gonna plan a journey by tinkering with the dials
- Check time (part 2) on the iwatch, My big head is still in the way
- Fitness app, Sleep app, Health app, Medication app, mmm lovely but still cant put my confidence in AI
- M2, saw it coming. Spec: scaringly powerful.
- isnt the midnight MacBook air elite?! But the notch tho. Magsafe is back, more thin, this thing looks fragile.
- Did they show a game running lower than the videos fps on purpose? Hmmm
- Ventura's stage manager, xbmc vibes
- Is that Facetime attachment free? Is there a subscription to continuity camera?
- Tab Group Collaboration, hehe, "they can see which tabs you're looking at" hehehe
- Free Form: bloatware
Meh, I cant rant more, honestly the new features look good.1